Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Treat Yourself Tuesday

Well, friends. I've made a discovery. Not in the way Columbus supposedly discovered America, but a discovery at Whole Foods. Yep. The grocery store.

Today, I write to tell you about the Japanese Sweet Potato.  This is no ordinary sweet potato- there's no bright orange center, and the skin on the outside is darker and rougher (is that a word?) than the average SweetPot, but I think that's all part of they mystery of this wonderful food.

I had finished swim practice for my swim across the sound ( https://give.stvincents.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=564&tab=0&frsid=1187 my shameless plug for support), and I stopped in to Whole Foods to grab some groceries for the week. I saw a fellow CrossFitter checking out these mystery potatoes so I followed along. Boy, am I glad I did.

Behold, the Japanese Sweet Potato!  While this little baby looks similar to a buttery, yummy baked potato, I assure it's not! Not even close. This potato has more sweet and delicious flavor than it's bright orange counterpart, and is definitely more nutritious than it's Idahoan cousin. 


SO... treat yourself!  Check out your grocery store or Whole Foods and see if they have them. No butter necessary, although a sprinkle of cinnamon might be lovely.  If you find them, let me know what you think and how you prepared them.  In the pic above, I wrapped it in saran wrap and microwaved it for 5 minutes for my lunch at work. Quick, easy, and wonderful.

yours in sweet love,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.