Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hooray for Vacay

I was so tired by the time I got home last night that I couldn't bring myself to write.  A fabulous, impromptu, and random vacation will do that to you. There are so many great details to share, but I'll start with Friday and work through it over the next day or two.

As I said yesterday, Mike is out for summer. Yay for him, boo for me.  I can tell you with 100% honesty that I can't even fake being happy for him that he gets to sleep in as I'm getting ready for work.  When the alarm goes off now, and it's only for me, I am peeved!  I know, I know... teachers work so hard, teachers deal with a lot of stuff, blah blah blah... so do I. And, from June through August, I'm still waking up for work. I didn't get 9 snow days this year, I didn't get 2 spring breaks, and I definitely don't get 2 months to bask in the sun, plan play dates with friends, and go boating all summer. What's that you say?  I'm bitter?  No, never.

Back to the vacay.  Since I took a few days off so as to not feel sorry for myself, Mike planned a few random days of fun.  Friday, we started out for a drive along the shoreline of CT headed East.  We stopped by the Henry Whitfield Museum in Guilford, CT- it's one of the last standing Stone Houses in the country: http://www.newenglandtravelplanner.com/go/ct/ct_shore/guilford/whitfield_muze.html and it was pretty cool.  Mike also took the time to have a portrait made while we were there.  What do you think?

Mrs. Whitfield, is that you?
Or do you prefer this one?

Mr. Whitfield, why so serious?
After this great little trip down history lane, we drove. And drove, and drove. We travelled route 1 from Branford to Groton, only getting on the highway when necessary to cross major bodies of water.  It was beautiful.  We stopped for drinks and snacks at different pubs along the way.  Finally, after a day of exploration, we ended up at http://www.caferoutier.com/ for some dinner and drinks.  We love this place and highly recommend it.  We ran into a few CrossFit friends and then, in true Whitney and Mike style, made friends with an older gentleman named Paul.  He's self-dubbed the 'Mayor of Chester' which is a sweet town in the middle of CT.

We talked with Paul until late into the night and then made our voyage home for some rest.  What a day!  We followed Friday, with a celebratory outing to East Side in New Britain (some of you might know it as Hard Hittin' New Brittin'- indeed, it is.  Our friends Molly and Jeremy had their parents in town which surely meant we needed to take them to the most random German establishment in the middle of a rough city for  gigantic glasses of beer and kraut.  Right?  It was obvious to you, too, huh?
The Beer- over 12inches high

Princess for a meal
Uhhhhhh.....

down sizing to 'testers'- the Germans really know how to drink!

After some fine German beer, some edible food, and Jeremy being spanked with a large oak paddle, we considered the day a success and headed home. Alas, Mike and I had another big adventure planned for the following day. More on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.