Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why I heart CrossFit

I've been in a bit of a topic slump the last few days.  There are so many things going on that it's hard to find time to focus on just one and write about it.  But, seeing some amazing pictures and experiencing a great day at the gym with my team and friends this past weekend lit a spark. I LOVE CrossFit.  I know a lot of people will say they love running or they love to swim or they love riding their bike, and those things are very nice, but I seriously love CrossFit and I'm so thankful to have found it a year and a half ago. 

Here is a link to my crossfit gym, CrossFit New Haven.  This place is awesome and has become a second home of sorts.  For those of you who don't know much about CrossFit, I'd highly recommend that you do a little research for gyms in your area and check it out.  This type of workout is not only some of the best physical activity I've ever done, but it's totally motivating. 


A few key points to know about CrossFit are:

  • It's a group style workout- you are never working out alone without support; you work out in a class style format with people of all walks of life with the same goal of being healthy and fit. 
  • There is always at least 1 coach who is monitoring your movements and giving you one-on-one advice and support throughout the workout.  It's like working out with a personal trainer amongst all of your friends.
  • The workouts are constantly varied so you never get bored and you don't have to keep track of which day/body part you are focusing on today.  The workouts (called WODs) are set up to build and strengthen specific movements and modalities.  There are days where we focus on one thing at a time, or days where we do a 20 minute workout that includes 3 modalities together.
  • There is weightlifting involved, but not in a greasy, vein popping out, body builder kind of way.  Each person is free to work with a weight that suits them and allows them to perform the movement safely and properly.  It's tailored to each person specifically so there is not competition for who is lifting the heaviest or most.
  • Each gym is a unique family- it allows you to get to know people in their times of struggle and need, as well as in their times of triumph and glory.  We create a family dynamic where all are welcome and we support each other through goals and challenges.  Hence, my paleo challenge team that I'm sacrificing my beloved carbs for.  Team Kick JurASSics, I love you guys.
 My favorite part of CrossFit is getting to workout with my friends! They push me, I push them, we set goals together and discuss parts of the workout that might be challenging or feel good.  We are accountable to each other.





Not only do I feel stronger, healthier, and ready for anything, but I also have a great time every time I'm at the gym.  Sure, I curse the workout the next morning when my quads are screaming at me while I descend the stairs at home, but it's all worth it.  I get as much peace of mind from this place and the people in it as I would sitting on a quiet beach reading a book.  There's something soothing about heavy metal or hard core rap music blaring so loud you can't hear yourself breathe... sweat dripping all over the place leaving a trail of the work you've already done, and blisters on your hands after the 100th pull-up.  You won't know the feeling I'm talking about until you try it. 



 Don't be afraid.  Check out a CrossFit gym near you by visiting this website.  Also, the 2011 CrossFit games have been playing on ESPN2, which is a great way to see what hard work, dedication, and eating right can do.  Those people are incredible!

Mike and I met at a competition a year and a half ago... nothing but love for it.

Yours in xfit love,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.