Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Treat Yourself Tuesday

Oh yea! Treat yourself Tuesday is making a comeback.  It's been too long and I've been caught up with all of this Fall, and Paleo, and Work, and stress talk that we really haven't treated ourselves in a while. 

Often the inspiration for Treat Yourself Tuesday comes from Trader Joe's for me.  And last night did not disappoint in the inspiration department.  (I'm sure that if you are without TJ's in your area, you can still find these gems).  TJ's has put out their fall spread and the store was jam packed with sweet little knobby pumpkins and squashes for decoration.  Yes, I bought several and Mike called them 'clutter.'  They are also sampling their delicious pumpkin flavored delights- pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin bread, pumpkin butter, pumpkin pie filling, and the pumpkin goes on.

One of these items nearly jumped its way right into my cart.... the Pumpkin Butter!!!

Photo courtesy of Tiny Muffins

I don't know about you, but when I was an youngin' I loved this stuff.  As a kid, I was so narrow minded in my usage of this delicious treat.  I simply spread it on toast or waffles or pancakes and called it a day.  That's not to say those uses aren't a-maz-ing, because they are. But, as a  real grown-up, I've discovered many new uses for this old stand by. 

For example, you can make a really great spread for pumpkin bread by combining pumpkin butter and some cream cheese to make a thicker, less sweet treat.  You can also combine the pumpkin butter with some cream to make a light version of pumpkin pie.  You can also mix it into Greek style yogurt, you can add it as a filling into baked goods. AND- you can roast up some fresh root veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, etc...) and combine with a dollop of pumpkin butter as a glaze.  You could also use it as a topping for the TJ's pumpkin ice cream... mmmmm.  The list really does go on, friends.  And to my dearest 'Uncle Frank', who is an incredible cook, I'm sure you'll come up with your own concoctions so let me know what you make!

Last night, I took two pork chops, poked them with the fork, and them placed them in a Tupperware with a few tablespoons of pumpkin butter, some maple syrup and a touch of hard apple cider.  They are marinating as I type, waiting for me to come home and cook those suckers up!  I.Can't.Wait!

Photo courtesy of Eating Bird Food Blog

Photo Courtesy 'Cooking with Trader Joe's'- Pumpkin Cheesecake w/ pumpkin butter

I have really fond memories of being a kid and taking camping trips with my parents and Mema & Papa to the Smoky Mountains.  The #1 'souvenier' I always wanted to take home was pumpkin butter.  Mmmmm... there ain't a lot of pumpkins growing in Palm Harbor, FL so I needed my fix.  So, my affinity is 50% nostalgic and 50% delicious.

So go ahead, treat yourself.  You won't be sorry.  And the TJ's brand doesn't have any gross fillers or additives.  I'd also recommend stopping by a farmer's market or country store and checking out their pumpkin butter offering.  And get creative.  This stuff ain't just for spreading anymore!


Yours in pumpkin love,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.