Monday, October 24, 2011

A case of the Mondays...

I would say "happy Monday" except that this Monday is already proving to be a sign of another manic and frustrating week.  Why?, you might ask?  Allow me to take you on a little trip through Whitney's morning...

I woke up every hour last night, nervous that I had forgotten to do something or wasn't prepared for something at work today.  That's after not even getting to sleep until after midnight because of this feeling.  I sprang out of bed at 6:50am (a few minutes later than normal), and went straight to brush my teeth.  Ding ding ding... I was supposed to be at the dentist at 7am this morning for my cleaning. I live 20 minutes away from the dentist and it's now 6:55am.  And, although this dentist's office is lovely, they will charge your behind $100 if you miss an appt. I raced downstairs, looked up their phone number online and called in a panic to explain myself. (Really, I was trying to avoid the $100 fee.)  "I'm so sorry, I had a rough weekend, I don't feel that well- sniffle sniffle- I'm so sorry. I can rush there if you want me to, etc..."  Luckily, Judy, on the other end of the line, was very nice and said I could reschedule, with no mention of the $100 fee.  Let's hope that doesn't magically appear on my credit card (which is on file for exactly this purpose).

So, back to getting ready.  I burned my forehead and ear with the curling iron.  Really?! I'm 31 years old and apparently still haven't figured out how not to burn myself. Sigh.  I rush through the hair prep, throw on some makeup so I don't look quite as bad as I feel, and then scour the closet for something to wear.  Mind you, it's now about 40 degrees outside (cold enough to see my breath) so I've got to dress for warmth in addition to professionalism. Sigh, again.  I slip into pants and a sweater, heals on, and out the door I go.  I'm in the car, listening to NPR and trying to prepare for the day ahead. Ding ding ding... Low Fuel Light comes on. Dang!  Whip in to the pilot travel center, fill up $15 worth of gas (duh, I'm rushing) and off I go. 

I hit Nica's for my coffee and some veggies to snack on and end up talking with the owner, who's wife had a baby last week, about all of the chaos involved with the delivery.  I love the people there, so I'm happy to hear this and listen.  Our conversation grows larger, more people join in standing closely to me. We laugh, we exchange congratulatory hugs, and I depart.  Alas, I do actually have to work today.  I whip in to my parking spot, grab my lunch and do my best mall walk to my office.  I'm passing people left and right on this walk; I'm late and on a mission.

I get to my office, settle in, chat with both of my bosses, sip my coffee and catch up on the trail of emails that awaits me from the weekend, and I notice something. How could this have happened.  All of a sudden, my morning replays in my mind.  All the places I've been, people I've talked to, unknowingly standing right there as they were likely judging me in their minds...

I have two different shoes on!!!!!!  And, it's not even like that's a dark brown shoe!!!!!  Are you kidding me?!?!?!  (yes, my skin is really that pale!).  Sigh, a third time. I look like a total fool. Black wool pants, cream sweater, beautiful scarf, and two different shoes. Moron!

I hope your day is going better than mine.

-whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.