Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Treat Yourself Tuesday

Trader Joe's has won my heart, again.  And again, and again.

I've written a previous treat yourself tuesday post about the benefits of all things coconut: coconut oil, and the SoDelicious products.  But, this past week I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Trader Joe's (yes, I claim it as my own- I'm sure other people in Orange, CT do too) finally got the non-dairy coconut milk in.  Woohoo!!!  I love this stuff. 


Here's what TJ's has to say about the new product:

Coconut Milks (Unsweetened & Vanilla)

We've been cooking with coconut milks for a long time (mmm, curry), but pouring it into a glass and enjoying it with cookies - this is a relatively new concept. One we like a lot. That's why we worked with our supplier to create our own non-dairy beverage Coconut Milks. They're made from the finest coconut flesh that is finely grated and steeped in hot water before being strained to squeeze out the essence of the pure white pulp. The result is a lightly coconut-flavored, delicately sweet beverage that is soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and practically free. Well… almost. We're selling each 32 fluid ounce carton of Unsweetened Original or Vanilla Coconut Milks for $1.99.


I've now used both versions pictured above (in one week!) and they are great.  If you aren't a traditional 2% milk chugger and you use milk as an ingredient instead of the main course then you will love this  stuff.  It's non-dairy and gluten free for those who have some lactose troubles, and soy free for the ladies which is the way to go these days.  It's a small way that you can cut out some unnecessary fat and gunk from your diet and replace it with something a little better.  I'm not saying it's a perfect product, but it's definitely better than real milk or dairy in a lot of ways- less fatty than almond milk, and so much better for you than the bad, bad soy products out there. 

Here are a few ways I've used these:
  • coconut pancakes
  • in the batter for french toast
  • mixed in with my eggs while I scramble them
  • in coffee- I prefer the vanilla one for this
  • in cereal
  • in any recipe calling for milk (like cupcakes!)- you may need to experiment a bit to get the consistency you're looking for, but I've had NO problems. 
  • Cold in a glass... mmmm, milk!
  • In curry (I like Thai style curry)
  • In homemade milk shakes and ice cream
So, have you tried it?  What are you using it for? And, if there isn't a Trader Joe's near you, go with the SoDelicious brand.  It's slightly more expensive, but still less than a gallon of milk and totally worth it. 

Dreaming of coconut,
Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Hey Whitney! I like coconut in general, but sometimes I can't get over the feeling of "this smells like my suntan lotion". But I'd like to try this stuff, especially if it has "light coconut taste".
    Love your blog!
    Barb (Watts)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.