Friday, August 5, 2011

Reflection and thanks

Brace yourselves- this could be a rambling...

To say that I am overwhelmed is an understatement. I am in awe of the showing of love and support by so many friends and family as I set out to conquer the Long Island Sound tomorrow with the Seagurls.  Thanks are not enough to express my gratitude.  I am so proud to be surrounded by such an incredible group of people and to swim for such a worthy cause.  This sense of family and community makes me feel at home while I'm away.

Yesterday, my Uncle Tommy passed away.  He went peacefully and unexpectedly in his sleep.  This news hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was plugging along at work, lost in my world of nerves and excitement when I received the phone call.  Nothing prepares you for that.  But, what I find so incredible and moving about the way this went down is that the tears and heartache came instantly.  Instantly, I was gutted and weak in the knees listening to my Dad weeping as he shared the news.  The strength and power of one emotion can move so quickly.  I was powerless over my emotions and that was actually a great feeling.  In a strange way, it felt so good to feel so bad, to feel so emotional at this news.  It reminded me of how important loved ones are and how often we get lost in the day-to-day without really recognizing this.

My intention is not to drag out the sadness of the day, but to reflect on how incredible emotion and love can be.  I haven't seen my Uncle Tommy in about 2 years.  Living up here makes visiting difficult and it's hard to get all family members in the same place when I am home.  We didn't talk on the phone or write letters or anything of the sort over the last two years.  We simply have not been in touch aside from checking in with my Dad and Grandma about each other.  That doesn't take away an ounce of love or connection that I felt for him.  I was so overcome with emotion yesterday and so sad, but at the same time I was so thankful to have had him in my life for 32 years.  I am so thankful to come from a family that remains so close and connected despite distance or frequency of visits.

What's more, is that every family member that was in Florida stopped what they were doing, left work, left home and drove to be together.  The rallied around each other.  They put aside petty disputes and came together.  That's what you're supposed to do, right?   It was so touching.  I wish for everyone to experience the connection we have with their own families. 

So to bring this full circle, I am also reflecting today on the power and strength of the family I have built outside of my d.n.a.  The outpouring of love and support shown by so many people for the Seagurls (not just me, but our whole team) is amazing.  We handed in our checks last night at the race meeting and we've raised over $12,000 so far for cancer treatment and support.  Are you kidding me?! $12,000!!!  Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would raise that much money and be able to transition that into so many lives waiting to be touched by this support.  So many people shared sentiments about their loved ones that have been touched by cancer.  I have read and re-read your comments, your encouragement, and I will be channeling that as I swim my rotations tomorrow.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

With love,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.