Thursday, August 4, 2011

Art Deco

Happy Thursday!  I hope this day and tomorrow fly by so that we can get started on the big swim.  That's right, this Saturday is the swim.  Keep the good vibes coming!

But on to more artful things...

As promised, here are some of the photos from our self-guided art deco tour in South Beach a few weeks back.  Mike was so excited to do this tour.  We missed the guided tour by 15 minutes and couldn't find them on the street to try to sneak in.  So instead we walked the strip and decided which things we thought were art deco and took pictures of them.  What can I say?  We're innovators. Right.

So these are some of the spots in the daytime.  My favorite is the tangerine colored hotel.  These places were slammed with breakfast, lunch, and dinner crowds during the day time and then they turn into bars/clubs at night. 






And then we returned for the nighttime neon lights and fan fare.  It was also great.  I must admit however, that I would never actually stay at most of these places because they look like they haven't been renovated or updated since the 50's. I understand that's what the whole theme and vibe is supposed to be, but in the day of mold/mildew, bed bugs, and roaches... no thank you!  I'm happy to walk down and look at these places every day if I can stay in the comfort of a newly renovated hotel with no mold, clean linens, and a full bed bug inspection.  I know. I'm weird.  Mike would L.O.V.E. to stay at The Colony.  If I had to, I'd stay here at The Pelican.  It's more modern and clean looking. 

And then there was nightfall...






And then.... there was the next morning.  After miles of walking, photo taking, frozen drink having, truffle fry eating, we were beat.  And one of us was having some trouble rallying.


Good Morning, Sunshine!  That's my beach hat you're wearing.

I know there aren't a ton of pics, but you get the gist.  It was cool to see the old style and the old school cars parked outside.  I think Mike was more fascinated by it than I was. I was focused on this:


and this:


and this:


I heart the beach.  So while the buildings were neat-o with their art deco flavor, I was ready to hit the sand and swim around in the salt water.  And so I did.

Well, friends, that's all for today.  Have a fabulous Thursday.

Yours in art appreciation (sorta),

Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.