Friday, August 12, 2011

Merging... it's not a hard concept

First and Foremost- thank you for your kind and beautiful words about my Mema.  Today is still hard but I'm focusing on celebrating her and all that she meant to me.  xo

Today, to change gears a bit, I'd like to discuss the concept of merging, or a merge, or a merger.  I don't think it's a very difficult concept.  So, why can't most drivers figure it out?! 

Merge:
verb (used with object)
1. to cause to combine or coalesce; unite.
2. to combine, blend, or unite gradually so as to blur the individuality or individual identity of: They voted to merge the two branch offices into a single unit.

verb (used without object)
3. to become combined, united, swallowed up, or absorbed; lose identity by uniting or blending (often followed by in  or into ): This stream merges into the river up ahead.
4. to combine or unite into a single enterprise, organization, body, etc.: The two firms merged last year.
Now that I live in the 'burbs, I must drive to work again.  While I don't mind the 20 minutes of Whitney time in the car, listening to NPR and contemplating what I will have for lunch, if I will go for the Hazelnut coffee at Nica's, and how hard the WOD at the gym will be, I find that I get so frustrated with the bad drivers that I actually don't enjoy my drive time.  To me, driving is not a hard thing to grasp.  Unlike other things in life, driving offers very clear, specific rules with very strict consequences for breaking them (tickets, crashes, no license).  Chances are if you're driving, you had to pass some form of driving test in some state in which you had to study these rules and instructions.  So why do people file that away and pretend there are no rules when they get behind the wheel?
Back to my original annoyance today- merging.  As said, it's a simple concept.  It works like a zipper, people.  You go, I go, you go, I go.  Or- left lane, right lane, left lane, right lane.  It's a give and take.  It's not a two-for-one deal, and it's not a ride-the-bumper-of-the-person-in-front-of-me-so-those-merging-people-can't-get-in deal.  They have a right to get in; they are yielding to you, but that doesn't mean you block them, it means you safely make room for them to MERGE.  This is a concept that the lovely people of New Haven, CT have yet to grasp.  Especially those who travel the I-95/I-91 merge in downtown.  You know who you are, people!!!  If someone has their blinker on and is patiently waiting for their turn to merge, don't be a jerk.  Let them in.  I'm not saying you have to let the whole line of traffic in, but if each driver does their part in letting one person in, we would not be sitting for 20 minutes a day to move 1/2 mile while you all fight over who gets to come in or not.  Driving is not a club; you do not have the right to decide who 'gets in' and who doesn't.  I get it, you're in a hurry, but the whole not letting someone in concept wastes more time and jams up more traffic than if you'd just let someone in and keep the flow of traffic moving.  You do this to yourself. Duh!


And for the truck drivers out there... you also know who you are.  I'm talking big rigs, not F-150s here.  Just because you have a big bad truck and you think you own the roads doesn't mean that's actually true.  Don't use your truck as an intimidation tool.  You too should obey the traffic laws and allow others to merge.  I know that you are a slow starter and therefore people jump in front of you because you can't get up to speed as quickly as they can, but don't take that out on all of us.  You do not intimidate me and just because you think that moving your front tires into my lane will make me stop and let you in, doesn't actually mean that will happen.  I'm not afraid.  I will hold the line.  I will drive around you as you illegally try to push into my lane without a signal.  You my friend, are the reason people disobey the merge concept.  You frustrate people.  So stop!  Use a signal, wait your turn, and I will gladly let you in. Don't be pushy- we appreciate the goods and supplies you are carrying. 
Ok- how's that for a soapbox on a Friday?  Have a wonderful weekend.  Drive safely, please.  And remember... mind the merge.  Sometimes I think I could have been a highly successful traffic cop.  It's never too late, I suppose.
Yours in peaceful driving,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.