Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Time Flies... whether it's fun or not

Good Morning!

I'm going to keep this brief today (I hope), but wanted to reflect on something I was reminded of yesterday.  I have now lived in Connecticut for 5 years.  This seems almost surreal to me.  In some ways it seems like only yesterday that I was loading up that Penske truck and leaving my beloved Greensboro, my dearest friends, and a place I finally felt home to make this big trek North.  I cried and cried.  I stayed up all night with Amanda, Tommy, Abby, John, the night before I left wishing I didn't have to go.  Why had I chosen to live in a place with no Chick-fil-A, no proper biscuits, no southern charm, no air conditioning, and no family?   

The truth is, I didn't have to leave, but in true Whitney style, I was on the search for the next thing, the next adventure, the next challenge.  And, boy oh boy did I find it.  CT had plenty more in store for me than I ever imagined.  I figured this would be a 1-2 year move and I'd find myself back in NC in no time to settle in to my old life.  Wrong.  As I said, 5 years and counting and I have no plans to leave any time soon.

In 5 years, I've moved five times (ugh!), I've had two jobs, I've taken trips of a lifetime (Ireland, Spain, Hungary, San Francisco, San Diego, Vail, and more), I found CrossFit, and made friendships I cherish.  I've also missed countless birthdays for those I love, missed out on holidays with family and friends, missed a few friend's weddings and baby births, and missed amazing accomplishments by some of my favorite campers from NC.  It's bittersweet really.  Sometimes I wonder how this Florida girl has made it this long up here in the Nutmeg State.  It certainly wasn't my plan.  But then again, that's what I get for trying to make the plan.

Here I am, August 3rd, 2011, reflecting on all of the lessons learned, the good and the bad.  I wouldn't trade it.  I've built a place for myself here in this crazy fast paced state.  I have wonderful friendships and relationships with people I consider as close as family.  I feel like a real grown up now. Despite missing my family terribly and longing to be closer to my NC peeps, I feel settled.  I think I'll stay a while longer here in the Northeast, despite the terrible drivers, bad manners, lack of air conditioning. (I kid, I kid... kinda). 

So, Nutmeg State, if you'll have me, I'll stay a while.  Here's to another 5 years... and to hopes for more family visits and far away friend time.

Yours in reminiscing,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.