Thursday, August 11, 2011

Janie Louise Brice

Today will be a hard day. Today will be one of toughest in memory.  Today, in the wee hours of the morning, Janie Louise Brice made her way to heaven.  A true angel made her way home.  Born on December 21, 1921 this petite red-head, mother to my Aunt Patty and My Mom, Susie, graced this earth for almost 90 years.  She lived through joy, pain, love, sorrow, war and peace.  She raised children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, each with a special connection and bond to her.  She was a small, soft spoken lady, but she was the matriarch and the leader.  She was the example we strived to live up to.  In later years she was a homemaker and had a heart filled with pride for her grand children and their accomplishments.  And, she wrote notes and cards often to be sure we knew how she felt about us. 

My Mema and I shared so much more than a birthday.  As her only granddaughter, we shared a special bond that can not be understood or explained.  This woman shaped my life and was a driving force in helping me become the person I am today.  For those of you who have known me a while, you know how special Mema is to me.  This grandmother of five never missed a game, a swim meet, a graduation, a birth, a birthday, a wedding, or anything.  Nothing could keep her away from the joy of her grandkids.  All five of us are better people because of her.  The lessons she taught us, whether intentional or not, will remain wiht us always. We will pass them down, we will pass them down, share them often, and remember her with a love deeper than any other.

A few things about Mema worth knowing:
  • She was a true lady- in every sense of the word, she was the picture of grace, beauty, manners, and love.
  • She took pictures of everything. Everything. She literally photographed our entire lives and wrote specific details, dates, times, and people in every single image she captured. We have a photographic history of our family.
  • She put mayonnaise on grilled cheese sandwiches before she grilled them.  I love this.
  • She worked on a farm during WWII while my Papa was overseas fighting.  She wrung the necks of chickens unsuccessfully and eventually befriended the farm owners and grew as close to them as family.
  • She is mother of 2, grand mother of 5, great grandmother of 8.
  • She retraced the McLean and Brice family histories all the way back to Scotland and England and created elaborate family trees.  She met long lost family members and kept ties with them for years to come.
  • She knew how to drive and drove all over the country- at a time where many women didn't drive or desire to, Mema would drive anywhere and everywhere.
  • She was an incredible seamstress- she made dresses and outfits for my Mom, Aunt, and me and they were beautiful.
  • She taught me how to play solitaire- with real cards, not on the computer.
  • She fed and befriended multiple generations of red-tail hawks and they ate chicken gizzards from her hand. Generations of hawks came to her front yard instinctively to snack on gizzards and fish guts.
  • She could out fish most men- and then turn around and prepare that fish for the most delicious dinner you've ever had.
  • She made my favorite side dish- lemon jello, pineapple tidbits, and shredded cheddar cheese.  I requested this at every family outing.
As the tears flow down my cheeks and I feel my eyes swelling slightly, I'll leave you with some photos of this most amazing woman.  I am so thankful for 31+ years together, for shared birthdays, for road trips singing to country music, and for her love. 


Papa, Mema, Aunt Patty, and Baby Susie (my Mom)

Baby Whitney

Mema and Lil Whitney

Getting dressed

Watching grandkids on Christmas morning

Mema and Baby Evan

She made me dresses and outfits

She drove us to cousins weddings far away

Papa, Mema, and Evan

Mema and Papa on their Anniversary

Birthday time! I think this is our 20th.

Meems and Paps

High School Graduation- 1998

Our 21st Birthday- Strawberry Daquiris

Hug your family today, or call to tell them how much you love them.  Hold on to your memories and reflect on them often. 

With love,
Whitney


4 comments:

  1. Whitney,
    What a beautiful tribute to your Mema!!
    Reading your thoughtful words brought tears to my eyes...it felt as though you were describing my Gram as well! (maybe not the driving part....boy, was your Mema adventurous!)
    May she always live on in your wonderful memories, and in those those well documented photographs! :)
    Thinking of you today...
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a very beutiful way for us to celebrate her life and all the memories we have of her she was an amazing woman and care giver to all and we will miss her very much !
    thanks for creating such a wonderful tribute whit !

    Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your grandma. I often think of the trips up to the cabin and what a kind, gentle woman your grandma was. We shall all miss her. Please let me know when the Memorial is. Love to all your family at this time.
    Frank S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitney, Your Mema was a truly great lady. She and Scotty were those unforgettable heros in my life. I always admired and looked up to them both. I still tell people "Scotty" stories. Danny and I both are so sorry for your loss. She will be greatly missed. Love and prayers to all of you.
    Love, Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.