Thursday, September 15, 2011

To wear or not to wear... white after Labor Day.

To wear or not to wear white after Labor Day... this is an issue for me.  It's not yet cool or cold, although it's coming soon.  I'm not willing to transition my wardrobe yet to slacks and long sleeves so what does a girl do?  Today, I wore a long summer sun dress and white sweater. I did it. I don't care who judges me for it. 

What's with this rule anyway?  When I was younger I always thought it applied to shoes, but now I feel like it's being applied to everything. How can a person go all winter long without wearing white?  And now, in a grand marketing scheme, stores are calling what we all know as the color cream, winter white.  Really?  Winter White?  C'mon, it's cream.  Always has been.

This link gives a few historical explanations for why this crazy fashion rule might have come to light.  I've also read a few articles on the topic which state- "make your own trend", "pair white jeans with a chunky sweater and ankle boots" or "Winter white is the new trend in allowing white to be worn after Labor Day."

I can't be bothered.  Maybe if I worked for Vogue or some high speed NYC office, but today, here at Yale, I'm going to rock my white sweater and sun dress. Judge away. I'm not giving up on summer yet.

Yours in faux pas,
Whitney

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I am also confused by this rule!! But I am also one of the biggest offenders!!! LOL Wear your white Whit... wear it all year long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore linen pants and a white shirt yesterday. To work. With the stylish girls. Judge away, I'm rockin' summer until tomorrow - then I'll pull out the jeans b/c it's going to be cold and raining and friday :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.