Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to school?

The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.  ~Sydney J. Harris
While I'm not actually going back to school myself, it is that time of year and many people I know are heading back to school in some way.  Mike's first day back was yesterday and I came home to find him doing his own homework to prep for his new class in Western Civ; I guess even teachers have homework.  I was watching him last night and thinking back to my many 'first days of school.' It's exciting.  It's nervewracking.  What to wear?  Where to sit? Who are my teachers?  It's an adrenaline rush of sorts.

And, my friend Kelly has taken the leap and has gone back for her Master's in Communication in a really cool new program.  She's so inspiring.  This is something she's talked and dreamed about for a long time.  She is full blown into classes now and opening herself up to a new networking group, new skills, new opportunities, and a chance to really go after something she's passionate about.  And- she's still working full time!!!  She is one determined and driven lady.


Lately, it seems that a lot of people I know are looking to make changes, to try something new, to go back to school and learn a new skill or advance those they already possess.  I think it's so important to chase something you want.  To go after your dreams or goals, or to be able to recognize that what you are currently doing isn't fulfilling the dream/goal.  In these financial times it's hard to make a full stop change, but I think there are opportunities out there.  A course here or there at the community college.  An arts course to learn a new skill that could be a side project.  A new sport or team that might expose you to a different set of professionals.  Change is good.  Even small change is enough to adjust your route just a bit to possibly open a new door.

Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.  ~Malcolm S. Forbes
I see the students here in my department at Yale this week and I smile thinking back to being in college and having the world at my fingertips (so I thought.)  These young people are excited and full of energy.  They wander the halls searching for their classes, hoping to make eye contact with a friendly face to ask for help.  It's so sweet and endearing.  They aren't jaded yet by life and society and work.  They are appreciative of just a bit of help or opportunity.  They call me Ma'am or Miss, and that's ok.

And with all of this new inspiration and energy, I think I'll look into a new class on something crafty or artsy or sporty.  Last week I witnessed an outdoor HulaHooping class and I am excited to learn more about these hip shaking women.  What new classes or skills or changes are you making???

Yours in inspiration,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.