Friday, September 16, 2011

Back to the stone age... just call me Wilma

Today marks an ending of sorts.  Well... a beginning to an ending that will culminate on Sunday.  This Sunday.  On that fateful day, I will begin a 30 day 'Paleo' challenge.  Yes, Paleo, like cavemen. 



It's something that is preached a lot at CrossFit and it's something that I've thus far managed to somewhat avoid.  Sure, during the week I cook very healthy meals that are just about 95% Paleo, but we still have a beer or glass of wine or coconut macaroon with our meat and veg.

Our gym is launching their annual 30 challenge to jump start people back into healthy eating before we all hibernate in our caves for the long winter, living off of our fat stores and baked goods. Yep. That's what happens.



Here are a few useful websites that discuss the paleo diet: this one,  and this one,  and especially this one.

So this means BIG changes are coming. And I'm going to do my best to maintain and stay strictly paleo as long as I can. 30 days is a long time, though. I may have a few slip ups.  So I'll keep a food journal and I'll be honest in documenting my good work and my slip-ups (let's face it, there will be some). 

I don't have a specific goal.  Maybe I should set one. But, I would like to tone up a bit more and feel better during WODs. While those are generic goals, they work for me.  I'm not a scale watcher, I don't know how much I weigh, I don't know my measurements and I don't ever intend to know these things.  I'll judge my results by how my clothes fit, how I feel, my energy levels, and my performance at the gym.  I'll also document these things as well.  And- for the sake of honesty and accountability, I'll take some before, during, and after photos. It will keep me motivated if I have to put my sports bra'd self on the interweb for show.

At the end of the 30 days, I hope this is something that becomes our 'normal' and I can stick with it.  Sure, I'll still have the occasional beer or FroYo (duh, FroYo Fridays would suffer without me), but I hope that my primary eating habits are forever changed. 

And with that, I will spend the next two days tasting my favorites one last time, cleaning out the pantry and shelves of non-paleo snacks, and restocking with legit paleo foods.  Sigh. Farewell Lays Potato Chips... I heart you. So long coconut macaroons... you've been good to me.  And... ForYo, where do I begin?  I will miss you every Friday for the next month. Today I will have a large cup in solidarity.

Yours in chest beating and clubbing,
Paleo Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.