Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Sunshine State-of-mind

As you know by now, Mike and I returned late last week from my beloved Florida.  We had a wonderful week of adventure and sightseeing.  The time spent with my family was definitely my favorite part, but it was also great to show Mike around Florida and to see his expression and reaction to a place so different than his sweet Connecticut. 

I've debated about the best way to deliver this recap and have decided that the pictures really tell the story so I'll keep the written details brief and load you up with photos. 

To start, we left out of Hartford on a Delta flight (reminder, avoid Delta in the future).  The flight was 100% filled and unfortunately there was not enough room for people's luggage or their bodies in the very small plane.  I was awarded the coveted middle seat with a very large man on my left who did not have enough room to put the arm rest down.  We were literally smooshed together, so much so, that when I got off the plane I had imprints of the contents of his pocket impressed into the skin in my thigh. If you know me, you know I'm not big on contact by strangers... I don't want your bed bugs, your head lice, or anything else living on your person. Bleh! 
Alas, we finally made it to Tampa and headed straight to dinner with my Dad and Zsuzsa (step-mom).  Frenchy's Rockaway!!!  My single most favorite seafood restaurant in Florida.  This place has the best grouper sandwich and conch fritters in the state.. and possibly anywhere. Hands down. the best.  They also have ice cold Yuengling, which I miss so dearly in CT.  After dinner, a nice sunset walk on Clearwater beach... it's ok, you can be jealous. I would be too.
sunset


Clearwater beach




We met my brother, Evan, and wonderful S.I.L., Alexis, at a sweet little place called Palm Harbor House of Beer. The selection was extensive and Tara, the bartender, baked the customers chocolate stout cupcakes... just because. This was our kind of place.


beer menu boards

cheers!

Mike eating the cupcake
Afterward we were heading home to see my Momma.  Now a little backhistory- Mike jokes everytime he watches 'Swamp People' on TV that it must be like Palm Harbor... rednecks and gators everywhere and people getting around by air boat instead of cars.  I'm not sure if part of him actually thought he might see this. It's been a running joke for a while.  So, upon our arrival to my mom's house, we literally met with a gator face to face at the front door:

The following day, we took Mike to Ybor city for some cigar shopping, sangria drinking, and history seeking.  We also introduced him to JJ Gandy's... the best key lime pie you will ever have.  http://jjgandys.com/home  Note to non-Floridians: if you're eating Key Lime pie and it's green... stop eating it. It's not real K.L.P.  The real deal should be yellow, tart, and have just a bit of real whip cream on the edges.  Avoid knockoffs at all cost!

Next stop- South Beach!  I'll try to keep this brief and let the pics do the talking.

We stopped in Little Havana on our way to the beach. Great lunch at El Cristo Restaurant, a visit to the old men playing dominos in a local park, a cafe cubano for a pep in our step, and a stop at the Bay of Pigs monument.






Finally, South Beach!  Mike's long awaited dream.  He said Miami was the last major city in the US that he hadn't seen. Bienvenidos, Miguel!  Our hotel had reserved umbrellas and chairs on the beach so we dropped our bags and hit the sand and sea.
Circa 39- our hotel


Drinks at The Raleigh

Drinks at Lowes




 



And that wraps up the beginning of the Florida adventure.  We beached. We ate. We drank. We walked until our feet were covered in blisters (ouch!).  Tomorrow I'll write more about the Art Deco area, which Mike loved.  If you haven't been to Florida recently, you're missing out. 

Yours in sunshine memories,

Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.