Friday, July 8, 2011

My inner 'Dorie'...just keep swimming.

I'm channeling my inner Dorie (from Finding Nemo) to just keep swimming.  With a month to go before the swim across the sound, it's time to crank it into high gear.  We're hoping to get one or two open water swims in before the big day.  It's been challenging to work out a schedule for both CrossFit and swim practice, but I'm finding a way and making it work.



The Seagurls have been hard at work- practicing, swimming time trials, planning fundraisers, and getting ready for August 6th.  That's the day we take the plunge into the Long Island Sound.  I'm mostly excited about this. 

It's been interesting to be back in the water again after what I refer to as my 'retirement' from swimming.  I had forgotten how the chlorine makes your skin so itchy and dry.  I also forgot about the pressure headaches from swim caps and goggles squeezing your head tightly.  Not to mention the serious damage the chlorine does to you hair.  But, I am remembering why I loved to swim my whole life. Why I swam on two teams and woke up at 6am for weekend practices and meets.  The great feeling of glidign through the water when you finally find your rhythm.  The almost immediate physical and aerobic results aren't too bad either.  In all, I'm glad to be back in the water and I hope I can find a way to keep swimming regularly after this event is over.  Truth be told- it's really great exercise.

I have a few anxieties about the jellyfish count in the Sound at this time of year, whether the water will be hot or cold, if my shoulders will hold up for the 30 minute legs.  But mostly, I'm excited to experience this race, I'm happy to support my friend, I'm motivated to be swimming again after so many years out of the pool.  It's going to be fun.  It will surely be hard.  It will definitely be rewarding.  And, I will probably cry at some stage either from nerves or love.


But, like I said.  We're practicing.  We're out there swimming and working on our form.  We'll be in the Sound soon for a test swim and that should give us some indication of how this whole thing will go.  So with that said, stay tuned for more updates on the swim.  We're still fundraising if you feel so inclined to support us.  We could use all the help we can get to reach our goal. 

Here is my fundraising page if you feel so moved to help: https://give.stvincents.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=564&tab=0&frsid=1187
Best wishes for a wonderful weekend.  I hope you find yourselves outside in the sunshine, and maybe out for a swim too! 

Yours in saltwater dreams,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.