Tuesday, December 13, 2011

When all else fails...

I'm going on day 10 of this cold, accompanied by cough, sore throat, hoarse voice, and snotty nose.  I had a feeling this would happen once I finally slowed down at work and was able to catch my breath.  It turns out that my breath, once finally caught, was filled with coldish germs and virus.  Ta-da!!!  I got sick. Sick.Sick.Sick. 

I had no taste for food.  I was too tired and unwell to go grocery shopping or cook (poor Mike).  I just laid on the couch, the other couch, or in bed and alternated a rhythmic pattern of sleeping and coughing.  At times I interrupted the pattern by placing a wet wash cloth on my nose and face to breath through... you know, for humidity.  No, I don't own a humidifier, nor a de-humidifier for that matter.

And when nothing seemed to make me feel better, I turned to the old stand by.  When all else fails, there is always this:


GRILLED CHEESE and TOMATO SOUP!!!!

In my sickly fog, I had forgotten this most essential combination of goodness and warmth.  I was suddenly filled with energy (sorta) and I put on my 'can go outside in these' slippers from LL Bean, drove to the grocery, and purchased the essentials:  Sourdough sliced farmhouse bread, Land O'Lakes White American Cheese, Campbell's tomato soup (family size!), and butter.  Ok. I also bought cranberry ginger ale.

I sped home, washed my hands, and got to work in the kitchen.  15 minutes later I was enjoying the Mmmmm Mmmmm Goodness of this favorite old standby.  Yea, it's loaded with grease and oil, and yea I do the half water/half milk trick to make the soup creamier.  Who cares.  It was, and has been for the last few days, the only thing I had actually tasted in days. 

This ain't no pity party for love or well wishes.  The primary message you should take away from this entry is that when all else fails, and you can't see the light, just remember that grilled cheese and tomato soup are still there to save the day.  Dang, why don't I make this more often???

That is all. I hope you're all well and getting excited about the holiday season. 

Birthday countdown: 1 week!!!!!

Yours in crispy golden grilled cheese love,
Whitney 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.