Monday, December 19, 2011

Get up, Stand up

Friends,

It's time to stand up! 

I've been pondering the idea a lot lately, discussing it with my co-workers and gym friends.  And, alas, I've finally decided to just do it.  I'm standing up.  At work, that is.  My 'IT Guy' (which is a term of endearment more than a job title), Tom, built this mock-up for me to test out. 



It's a stand up workstation!!  I've been wanting to do this for so long, but kept procrastinating because I wasn't sure if I'd like it forever.  A few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet and set this up, and I haven't looked back.  It's SO much better than sitting all day.  And, as soon as I set it up, I started seeing so many articles on the news about the benefits of standing and moving around at work vs. sitting all day. 

While this is still in 'mock-up' format I'm able to figure out what I could use, what I like, what needs to be raised or moved, etc... it's been great to sort of design my own station.  When I'm ready, Tom will build me the final version compete with the bells and whistles I need/want.  Joy!

My friends Lindsay and Joe got me a nice mat for my birthday present, which makes standing for 7.5 hours so easy on the feet and knees. 

I can honestly say that I see myself doing this indefinitely.  It's funny when Professors and other staff stop by, at first they're slightly confused, then intrigued, then they usually conclude that they'd like to do this too.  Maybe I'm starting a healthy trend here at Yale.

Here's a good article from Mark's Daily Apple about standing up at work.  It's worth giving it a try.  Don't make any permanent changes until you live with it for a few weeks.  But, if you're like me, and you're tired of leaving every day with your shoulders slumped forward, your elbows bent at funny angles, and swollen feet and ankles, I highly recommend giving this a try.  Now if only I could get Yale to spring for a slow walking treadmill to stand on, I'd be on cloud 9!
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/standing-at-work/#axzz1h0luf5B3

*And, incase you were wondering, or don't know me that well, yes, my desk is that cluttered, and I do drink a lot of water each day. 

Have you ever tried a stand up station?

**Birthday Countdown:
2 days!!!!

yours in workplace comfort,
Whitney

1 comment:

  1. On my feet all day. I wouldn't want it any other way.

    John F

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.