Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Near and Dear

 For 9 years of my adult life, I worked in different capacities for The Hole in the Wall Camps.  This is a charity that is near and dear to my heart, and the heart of many others.  If you aren't familiar, I recommend you check out their website, http://www.holeinthewallcamps.org/ to learn more.  This global family of camps for children with serious medical conditions provides traditional camping opportunities for these children and their families, free of charge.  That's right!  Children who are too sick to participate in the average summer or weekend camp experience are able to attend a Hole in the Wall Camp for free and have the experience of a lifetime, all while receiving their treatment and under full medical supervision.  What could be better, right?

Well, what's better is being able to help support this wonderful organization.  A friend and fellow CrossFitter, Leah Spector, is joining the ranks of those who are taking on the Boston Marathon this spring and raising funds and awareness of Hole in the Wall along the way.  I come to you today to help Leah spread the word of her fundraising efforts and ask for your consideration in supporting her.  You can learn more about her goals and make a donation here.  Can you imagine running 26.2 miles on purpose???  I can't, and I'm sure I won't ever be up for that challenge, which is why I felt so compelled to support Leah by contributing financially.  I know that when she's rounding out mile 18, and then 22, and then 26.0, she'll be thinking of the kids that she's running for.  She'll be proud of the work she's done and thankful for the support she's received. 

Carla and Leah at the fundraiser this past weekend

Last weekend our gym hosted a charity competition to raise money to support Leah. I'm proud to say that we raised over $700 for her in one morning.  While that is an incredible amount of money, Leah's goal is to send two campers to camp this summer, which means she's in need of more donations to support her. If you feel so compelled, please consider supporting Leah today, tomorrow, or next week.  She's undertaking a tremendous goal- training to run 26.2 miles despite injury and winter climates- this woman is dedicated and driven.

So what are you doing this spring?  If you aren't running Boston yourself, maybe you could participate vicariously this way.

Thanks for your consideration in supporting Leah, and in learning more about a charity that means so much to me.

With love,
Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Thank you everyone! I am excited for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.