Tuesday, November 22, 2011

For the love of my Mama

HI Friends,

Work is gradually slowing up and I'm hoping to get back to my regular blogging routine once again.  Today is the last day of work this week- thank you Yale- and I am SO looking forward to a little break and some thankfulness.

But first, a little recap from one of my favorite things... a visit from my Mom. Two weekends ago, my Mom, aka Miss Susie, came up from the Sunshine State for a quick visit.  I don't think I ever really realize just how much I miss her until she's here and the hours and minutes speed by so quickly, threatening to end our visit sooner than I'm ready for.  It always seems like forever until she arrives and then in the blink of an eye I'm driving her back to the airport.  Sometimes it's just not fair. 

Growing up we went on many vacations around the south, and on ski trips out west, but we never really visited the Northeast.  I'm actually so thankful for not having spent much time up here previously because it makes every visit with my mom so special.  We plan new adventures, drive places neither of us has ever been.  We experienced NYC for the first time together in 2007.  It's so much more fun to go on these adventures with my mom, knowing that both of us will be seeing something or experiencing something for the very first time together. 

And this past trip was no exception.  Mike helped plan a wonderful few days for us, complete with a beautiful drive through the Hudson River Valley, a visit to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), Mohonk Mountain, leaf looking, FDR's house and memorial, The Griswold Inn, and much more. 



 











And although these adventures brought us new memories and stories, the best part fo the trip was our quiet times just talking as we sipped our tea in the mornings.  You don't realize how much you need a dose of Mama until she's sitting at your table bundled up in comfy clothes, talking about whatever we fancy doing for the day.  That's the best part.  It's not that I ever forget how much I enjoy our time together, but I'm so much more aware of it when she's here and we're on a timeline.  There are times in life tha I wish I could press fast forward and get on to the next part but not when my mom and I are together.  It's in those times that I wish I could press pause and stay in them so much more.

And so on the third day in this week of Thanks, I am so thankful to have my Mom.  She is my best friend, my confidant, my mentor, my voice of reason.  And, I'm one lucky girl.

Here's to planning our next adventure... we're heading West in June for the red rocks.  I can't wait... mostly just for the Mom time. 

Love,
Whitney

2 comments:

  1. Love Ms. Susie...she rocks and so does the daughter. you can't beat upbringing! IJS

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute to your mom! I feel the same way about my mother!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Got something to say? Come on, you know you want to. Leave a comment. I love to read them.